Sunday, July 19, 2009

laughter :-)

LAUGHTER
by: Maningning Miclat

He left me
when he could
no longer stand the laughter

that I gave him
while he begged me not
to keep memories

alive in poems
to hurt myself
and make those
who read

sad. I laughed
when he shared
his life with me
while holding him

to make it easier
and maybe
less painful
to live on.

Laugh! I told
him, but
could not get
his attention.

Laugh! I asked
him, but
he left in
anger.

And left
before he understood
the courage
that held my laughter.








This poem is some what ironic. By merely looking at the title itself, I can say that the poem is all about a laughter. But if I'm going to take time reading this, I can say that it has another meaning. The speaker is within the poem, she's the one talking. The laughter here can mean pain base from the tone of the voice of the speaker, the tone is not happy, it is not laughing. A guy, left her (if the speaker is a girl). The setting is all about breaking up her heart. The girl always write poems to record their memories but the guy avoided her. Because he doesn't want her to be hurt more by what she is doing. When he was breaking up with her, she tried to hide her feelings through her laughter. But the guy didn't understand the meaning of her laughter, that she is just pretending because she cannot stand the pain. That is why the guy left her laughing without knowing the real feelings inside her. Until he understand her courage to laugh, he understand the reason of her laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment