Monday, July 6, 2009

simPLe w0Rds wiTh gREat tHOUghtS....

Wooh.... Great writer. That is how I admire him. I was so impressed,, really, by the short story written by Carlos Bulosan.. I never imagine that simple tale-like story has a deeper meaning.






http://images.search.yahoo.com/

"My Father Goes To Court" was the first story we were about to analyze in class. Doing our group's analysis is just like having a simple analysis like we did in high school English class, we just viewed it in an ordinary way without even considering the setting and Bulosan, himself, placed in the story. I was so disappointed by my analysis, what my group did is, we disregard Bulosan in the story and anlyze it in a way we understand it. Although it is okey, I'm not contented in what we have done. Haizt.


Anyways, my mistake thought me an unforgetable lesson. Why unforgetable? Because this simple mistake drove me to loving more the books I read. From the moment I read Nick Joaquin's work, "Summer Solstice" , I really made a research, not only to have a contribution in our class discussion but also to learn more and appreciate this masterpiece.

I'm deeply hooked by the stories I'm reading now. Not only because I was able to relate on the story but because I'm trying to view them in a larger context. When I have the first reading during high school years, I really choose the book I'm reading; the title, the author and even the front cover of the book. But now, I realize that it is not good because I can also relate pala to the stories even though they seem hard to understand. I realize that I have to give my full attention in order to appreciate and understand the text I'm reading. That is what I learned from the course I'm taking now, Philippine Literature. I finally having great time reading the works of our native Filipino authors.

To those who are not able to read Bulosan's short story, please try. At first, you will feel that it is an ordinary piece to read, a waste of time, but later on, you'll discover the story behind. That Filipino and Americans are involved. You'll see why,, . The theme of the story, wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment